Welcome!

This is a real adventure for me, having the chance to spend an entire year on sabbatical. I know that many of you would like to come along for the journey, so I decided to launch my own blog site. I am new at this, so I ask your patience. Hopefully together we can enjoy this year of new discovery and adventure, of reflection and contemplation, in the spirit of St. Ignatius, the pilgrim. Just Scroll down to view my blog.


Peace,
Skipp



































Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Bryce Canyon - Bristlecone Loop Hike

When I got up and started out for my day of sightseeing and hiking, I noticed that I had passed the 100,000 mile mark on my speedometer, of which almost 4,000 miles were put on during this trip.  I headed out to Rainbow Point at the edge of Bryce Canyon National Park to hike the Bristlecone Loop trail.  There were a lot of deer out this morning and tourists just stopping in the middle of the road to take pictures. 

It was a perfect day for a hike, in the mid-70's in the early morning.  I figured I'd get more solitude at this end of the park.  On the mid-point of the hike you see a promontory with a small house (toilet) perched on the top.  I thought that picture should be called "Relief"!  Some thoughtful Ranger placed huge log seats at good intervals along the hike, which helped my aching knees a lot.  What a surprise on my return to find a family of Italians, smoking and taking pcitures.  The mother was trying to hike in high heels!  Talk about maintaining  "la bela figura"!











At Zion the squirrels posed for pictures.  Here at Bryce Canyon it is the Ravens who pose!  The early morning sun is just fantastic to capture the great views along the canyon.  I thought the "Natural Bridge" was the most spectacular.






I had lunch at a picnic area on the way.  Then,after lunch, I decided to go to Cedar City (the biggest city nearby that has a Verizon store) so that I could get a charger cord for my cell phone.  I took the scenic route through the Dixie National Forest, which turned out to be a real treat.  About mid-point I ran into a beautiful lake in the mountains. 



Everyone in this park wears camoflauge outfits, drive big SUV's, Trucks, or ATV's, and carry bows and arrows (and they aren't even indians!).  I guess this is a good hunting area.  While in Cedar City, where they have the famous Shakespeare Festival (http://www.bard.org/ ), which ends in two days, I decided to do some grocery shopping for my camping days.  Things are much cheaper in the city than at the parks or resorts nearby.

Tomorrow I leave the conmfort of my hotel to try camping for a few days.  If that doesn't work, I'll find some cheap hotels along the way.  It looks like rain this weekend, so I may just have to find a dry place soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment